My Literary Works Compilation for the 1st Quarter


Poem

        Poetry has been around for nearly 4,000 years. Poetry is written to share ideas, express emotions, and create imagery, just like other literary genres. Poets select words based on their connotations and acoustics, then arrange them in a rhythmic pattern known as the meter. Some poems use rhyme schemes, with two or more lines ending in words that sound similar. Poetry still plays a significant role in modern art and culture (MasterClass, 2022).


by Erich Anne L. Ferreras

Ako si Uragon,
Padabaon an Sorsogon.
An lugar na maogmahon,
Nano man na panahon.

Sa sulod sin Oktubre,
Malain-lain an mga pangyayari.
Kasanggayahan! Kasaganahan!
Kaogmahan maski grabi an kabisihan.

Yuon na an Pantomina,
An sayaw na bida!
Barrio fiesta an tema.
May pa concierto pa!

Context:

        Kasanggayahan Festival is the largest festival in the province of Sorsogon, Philippines. It is a month-long commemoration of its founding anniversary that runs from October 1 to 31 every year. Perceived as the Festival of All Festivals in the province. Its name is derived from the word kasanggayahan, which means "prosperity."
          Pantomina sa Tinampo translates to "street pantomime." The performance of a Bicolano folk dance has come to characterize the festival. It is categorized as a courting dance that conveys the romanticism between two lovers and is also referred to as the "dance of the doves."  
        It established the Guinness World Record for the largest Filipino folk dance performance on October 31, 2019, during the festivities. The folk dance Pantomina sa Tinampo was performed in Rompeolas Baywalk, Magsaysay Street, and Rizal Street by a total of 7,127 people from various localities. (FESTIVALSCAPE, 2022)


Riddles

   Also known as "bugtong" in Filipino, "tigmo" in Cebuano, "paktakon" in Ilonggo, and "patototdon" in Bikol. Refered to as the battle of wits among participants. Attest to the wit and ingenuity and richness of the imagination of ancient Filipino.


Context:

       Gubat’s little-known treat “timitim” is made from extracting cassava or "kamoteng kahoy". Grace Salvan, the sole remaining vendor who still makes and distributes the treat every day, claims that the treat's name is derived from "patikim-tikim" or tasting.
        Nobody is exactly sure when the practice of timitim began in Gubat, but Salvan claimed a Camara family member introduced the treat there in the 1970s. (Ostria, 2016)


Six-Word Story

        A six-word story is a form of flash fiction that enables the reader to quickly finish an entire story. A six-word story is a story that is told entirely in six words. A short story can have all the emotional themes found in longer ones, ranging from funny to dramatic, depressing to frightful. Even though these short stories lack the traditional beginning, middle, and end, they do have a subject and verb that convey what has happened and some minor conflict to the reader (MasterClass, 2021). 

1. BREAKING: DOH confirms local COVID-19 transmission.

        I used these six words to succinctly describe the COVID-19 pandemic or outbreak in our nation. Recalling how things have changed for me and my fellow countrymen. Everything came to a halt when the Department of Health confirmed the local COVID-19 transmission, which was followed by stringent home quarantines. It's astonishing how a news article can still horrify me and give me the goosebumps.

2. I just saw him last time.

         I got the idea for my six-word story from how we respond to death-related news. "I just saw him last time" or to put it in our native language, Filipino, "Nakita ko palang siya noong nakaraan". Words that appear to be familiar and frightening to begin with. How we last saw that person engaged or in good health, and now we heard he has passed away.

 3. Cried. A lady sang for me.


        Since Halloween is fast approaching, bringing up this real-life story would be timely. This six-word story is also derived from it. My Mom was the one who told me about this years ago. So, when I was a baby, I always cry at every single thing, loudly. One night when my dad was out, I started crying uncontrollably and my mom did every possible thing to stop me from crying though nothing seemed to work. She then remembered what my grandfather, her dad, said that when a baby is crying you just need to sing for him/her. When she was singing for me, after a while, she mentioned that she heard a euphonious voice from outside accompanying her in singing for me. Instead of being charmed, she was terrified. I then slowly stopped crying and the singing voice from an unknown entity still keeps going. But the good thing was that the radio was on, and a prayer was played. With that, the voice suddenly vanished. My Mom said she was so traumatized about it and always ask for my dad to not leave her and me alone again.



References:



Comments